This week marks the final days of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, a Texas tradition since 1932. The 20-day event packs in Texas-sized fun to satisfy savvy rodeo enthusiasts and curious rodeo rookies alike. There truly is something for everyone and the final week's packed schedule is no exception--events run through this Sunday, March 20. With so much to see and do and so little time remaining, we’ve corralled a quick, go-to list of this week’s final favorites. So grab your hat, pull on your Lucchese’s and hit the rodeo, Jack.
- If you love horses and fiery competition as much as we do, you’ll get a kick out of the American Quarter Horse Association's (AQHA) Cowboy Mounted Shooting World Show blasting off this weekend, March 18 -20 at NRG Arena.This event involves riders on horseback racing through an obstacle course while firing two (yes, TWO!) .45 caliber pistols at balloons along the way. We gotta give a shout out to this shoot out – it’s not to be missed! You've got three options to catch the action this weekend, so giddy up!
For the Little Buckaroos
- Mutton Bustin' is a beloved Houston tradition and event, and may just be the cutest thing on six legs. Families and kids will enjoy this fast-moving spectacle that brings tiny tykes and shaggy sheep together. Kid contestants, ages five to six, compete to see who can ride a sheep (and hold on!) for eight seconds! Check out this snippet from 2015. Mutton Bustin’ takes place each night during RodeoHouston® in NRG Stadium, but can also be found on the grounds in Kids Country from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Love animals? Check out AGventure, presented by OXY where the whole family can learn about agriculture alongside nearly every species of livestock under the sun. With a horticulture exhibit, milking parlor (!), petting zoo and the newest attraction, a fish touch tank, there’s no shortage of educational fun on the farm! All exhibits are open Sunday through Thursday, 9am - 8:30pm and Friday and Saturday, 9am - 9pm.
Food Festin’ & Wine Sippin’
- Get ready to loosen your belt (buckle)! Each year, the Show awards eight dishes with the Gold Buckle Foodie awards, from the "Most Creative Food" to the "Best Food-on-a-Stick." There’s plenty to satisfy your hankering with fried concoctions, ample portions and a menu as varied as the Houston population. Hungry visitors can sample top award-winners, as well as other appetizing entries. A few of our favorites: Aunt Edmoe’s Fried Cookie Dough on a Stick, Burton Sausage Kitchen Sink Taco and Biggies BBQ Big Daddy Corn Dog.
- After the food, you’ll need some tasty vino to wash it all down. Head over to the Champion Wine Garden where you can relax between events (and feedings), hear live music from local artists and sample winning elixirs from the Show’s Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition.
Walk of Cowboy Shopping Fame
- To walk off those calories, hit the NRG Center where a shopping showdown offers hundreds of vendors selling everything from engagement rings, belt buckles and Western wear to cowboy artifacts and ranch equipment. And, of course, there are cowboy boots. Find your next pair of Lucchese’s at our three locations inside Pinto Ranch, Cavender’s and Boot Barn. If you miss us at the Show, you can find us anytime at the Houston store in Highland Village and online - check out these Western favorites.
Country Strong Song and Dance
- The Show may be winding down, but the musical talent is still fired up! The schedule includes barrels of talent ready to roll through the very last night. In fact, Lucchese is giving away FREE tickets to these last three shows featuring Little Big Town on Friday, Brad Paisley on Saturday and Keith Urban who wraps up the Show Sunday night – stay tuned to Twitter (@lucchese1883) for updates on how you can win!
- After the main stage clears, hit The Hideout, a honky-tonk show offering live music and dancing. The party starts just after the RodeoHouston® performance and is open to music fans who are 21 and over.
Now that you know more about The Show, it's time to get up and go! To help you plan your digital itinerary, download the RodeoHouston® mobile app, available on Droid and iPhone—you’ll find everything you need to know about the events, competitions and even parking lot capacity!
If you can't make the Show, check out the action live without leaving your house. But we sure hope to see y’all there!